Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
This assignment will be an approximately 7 slide ppt presentation. Use these suggestions for your slides:
1. title slide with your name, course, date, etc
2. Introduction and purpose for your inquiry
3. PICO(T) question. Please identify P.I.C.O. and T
4. The 4 databases you used for your search (You may have new ideas following the suggestions in the forum. Articles should provide RESEARCH for the INTERVENTION you have selected for your inquiry and not just genera in nature. Did the intervention you proposed have an effect on the outcome you named? If you do not already have 4 articles with this detail you will need to search again) You need to USE four databases but your articles no not need to be from each of the 4 databases
5. For each of 4 research articles pertaining to your idea give a brief notation of the level of evidence (your articles should be systematic reviews or highest level of evidence possible). On this slide also be sure to mention the benefit of using a systematic review, even if you do not have a source utilizing one. These articles may be the same as you used for the past assignment if they fit. Some have had to change topics or variables, or your previous articles might not have been high levels of evidence, and therefore you may need new articles. There is reading about â€œlevel of evidenceâ€. This is not the purpose or design of the study, itâ€™s the numerical strength of the research and will be graded as level I through level V. Give rationale for your rating.
6. Conclusion slide
7. A slide with all of your resources typed in APA format (double spaced, indented, properly italicized where pertinent according to the new APA manual). You will have 4 references pertaining to research (cited in the ppt and referenced on last slide). By the way the new APA manual does not use â€œretrievedâ€ unless you include the date, nor typing of the city of publisher in references. Some in the class are still typing this incorrectly.
Here is a reminder of levels of evidence for you:
Level of evidence (LOE)
Evidence from a systematic review or meta-analysis of all relevant RCTs (randomized controlled trial) or evidence-based clinical practice guidelines based on systematic reviews of RCTs or three or more RCTs of good quality that have similar results.
Evidence obtained from at least one well-designed RCT (e.g. large multi-site RCT).
Evidence obtained from well-designed controlled trials without randomization (i.e. quasi-experimental).
Evidence from well-designed case-control or cohort studies.
Evidence from systematic reviews of descriptive and qualitative studies (meta-synthesis).
Evidence from a single descriptive or qualitative study.
Evidence from the opinion of authorities and/or reports of expert committees.
MY PICOT QUESTION
P: In acute care patients
I: CAUTI protocol bundle
C: Effectiveness of following a CAUTI bundle protocol compared to basic standard catherter care.
O: Decrease in numer of CAUTI, decrease health care cost, and decrease mortality rate associated with CAUTI.
In acute care patients, whats the effectiveness of using a CAUTI bundle protocol, compared to not using a bundle but basic standard catheter care.