Personal Reflection Assignment Instruction
Write a 500-word minimum (750 word maximum) concise and clear reflective summary describing what you have learned since starting this course.
Question 1- List two important sociological learnings that you are either using in your current practice or see yourself incorporating them in the future.
1- List the pros and cons of labelling individuals with mental health challenges (Chapter 13: Stigma and recovery)
2- Exploring the “Somatization thesis and South Asian women” from (Chapter 5: Race, ethnicity, and mental health).
Question 2- How has this course helped change your views of mental health from a sociological perspective?
Question 3- Describe a session that stood out for you.
Chapter 3: Social stratification and mental health. McGraw-Hill.
• Exploring the relationship between social class and health status
• Describing the relationship between poverty and mental health status
• Describing the relationship between social class and diagnosed mental disorder
• Discuss the connection of social capital and mental health
• Describe lay view about mental health and social class
Question 4- Include additional reflection you believe to be significant.
• Read Chapter 5: Race, ethnicity, and mental health.
Come prepared to discuss:
1. Discuss the role of racism in the creation of mental health problems and the character of psychiatric services.
2. Think about how your background has influenced your own opinion about mental health and treatment.
3. What factors need to be considered when understanding the relationship between race and health?
Chapter 7: Ageing and older people.